Welcome to HomeNetworkedAudio.com!
I’m happy that you found this site, and I’m excited that you will now have the information you need to start enjoying your favorite music in any room of the house, streaming from the web and from your personal library.
Let’s get started! If you are here because you love the idea of Sonos, Squeezebox or another solution that requires you to purchase expensive components in order to expand your listening area to multiple rooms in your home or business, but hate the costs, there is now a solution that some enterprising individuals have developed and discovered that is extremely low cost and flexible. Thank God for Open Source!! It is based on the Logitech Squeeze Box infrastructure the whole of which can be installed and up and running in minutes – hours (depending your specific install desires) with a PC or Mac (as a Music Server), Logitech Media Server Software, and at least one Android Device (expandable to as many as your network can handle). The Android device (when running a $5 app), acts a squeezebox emulator. From the Audio Out (Aux Headphone Jack), simple plug-in to any powered speaker, receiver, pre-amp etc. and enjoy synchronized audio across your home or business!
Step 1: Have the following in you Home/Business
- PC or Apple Computer (faster = better) and Local Music Library (ITunes etc.)
- 1+ Android Devices (Tablet, Phone etc.)
- Wireless Network Router / Modem (faster = better)
Step 2: Download Logitech Media Server Software
Step 3: Configure Logitech Media Server
- Depending on how well your install goes (and your networking equipment auto-config’s itself) you may need to configure port forwarding on your router later.
- Here a link to a now obsolete page that has some good install tips.
- Here is the current Logitech Support site that should be able to fill in any gaps in the above.
Step 4: Purchase and Download Android App SqueezePlay from Google Play Store to Android Device
- Run App and Point to Logitech Media Service (should be running)
Step 5: Download Android App Logitech Squeezebox Controller from Google Play Store to Android Device
Step 6: Sync-up Devices (assuming multiple rooms) and Enjoy!
I will work on publishing more of the details shortly… but this at least will get more savvy operators going in short order.